South Australia's Clare Classic: All The Latest News On The April 8 Gran Fondo Event
The countdown is on to Bicycling Australia's first Gran Fondo for the year, the Clare Classic in South Australia on April 8. Sister event to the multi-award winning Bowral Classic in NSW, and the recently announced Noosa Classic in QLD on August 26, the Clare Classic offers 50km, 110km and 160km courses through the historical rural and grape growing heartland of South Australia's Clare Valley.
Today the organisers have sent out the first Clare Classic newsletter for 2018 and it's loaded! So let's find out about what's happening in The Festival State on April 8.
Just Over Two Months To Go
With just over 2 months until the inaugural Clare Classic Gran Fondo event, now's the time to be ensuring you're fully organised for the big day - accommodation, personal preparation (yes that’s training!) and getting your bike ready for the challenge. We have a helpful article on preparation here.
Fully Timed Event - Take The Challenge!
With three course options - 50km, 110km & 160km, the event caters for casual weekend riders right through to hardcore enthusiasts - club racers and even semi-professionals. Get your cycling mates involved, take up the club challenge, and have a red-hot crack at being crowned inaugural Clare Classic champions.
What better way to make the most of the Clare Classic than spend the entire weekend in the region. For more on local accommodation options contact the specialists at the Clare Valley Wine, Food & Tourism Centre - phone them on 08 88422131 or jump over to their website www.clarevalley.com.au
With start times from 8:30am on Sunday April 8, making the day trip from Adelaide (just a 90-minute drive) is also an option.
Training With MegaSpin
Clare Classic Training Partner MegaSpin, based at 187 Rundle Street Adelaide are offering registered event participants discounted spin classes. Riders receive 15% off the regular class price! Mention this offer in store or use online discount code CLARE15.
The classes are on Tuesday February 13, Wednesday 14, and Thursday 15 February mornings or evenings. Four levels are available and the offer ends 8 February or while places are available. For more information sign up online via this link.
Clare Classic Fast Facts
- Patrick Jonker - 5 Time Tour de France rider, Tour Down Under winner and Australian cycling legend - will be at the Clare Classic! Meet Pat at the start line, hear about his incredible career, and ride with him during the event.
- We are supporting the wonderful people at Ride For A Reason and Cancer Council South Australia - more on this in coming weeks!
- The Clare Valley region is buzzing in anticipation of this inaugural Gran Fondo event - join the conversation and be kept up to date with the Clare region via social media.
- Organisers are looking for volunteers to assist at the start line and Clare Classic village area. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
- Rider packs will be mailed directly to each registered riders in early March.
- Your start time will be emailed to you mid March.
- On Saturday night before the event why not join the special carbo loading dinner at the Caravan Park - further details coming soon.
- On Sunday night a big post-event celebration & party is planned! We'll bring you the exciting details in the next newsletter.
Keen to visit Clare and ride the course or simply take a closer look at the ride routes - here are the GPX files for the 50, 110 and 160km courses!
Keep Up To Date On Social Media
That's all for our newsletter this week, but for more news including daily updates Like & Follow the Clare Classic Facebook Page, follow us on Instagram and visit the News section of the event website.